Thursday, 20 November 2014

Throw it NOW!

I made two sugar mistakes in the kitchen. Here’s the first one.

I accidentally grabbed salt for sugar and ended up putting the wrong amounts of each into my garam asam gravy! Dang! Dinner was to be served in forty minutes to my in-laws. I had two options.

One – call Pizza Hut, McDonald’s & KFC. Two – call my husband to the kitchen. As my traditional in-laws are not keen on fast food, I chose Option Two.

Crisis was averted after we miraculously managed to adjust the dish by discarding half of the gravy & adding fresh blended onions, etc. Phew... ! The moment dinner was over, I immediately labelled the salt & sugar containers (Yeah, Yeah, I didn’t before... so sue me!)

Here’s Sugar Boo-Boo Number 2... or so I thought.

I doubled a chocolate cupcake recipe, but Somehow (God only knows how!) I ended up doubling the doubled sugar amount or something. Oh Lord! What a shocker... !


Each cupcake overflowed the muffin tin and when cooled, every single one came out looking like a crater because the center caved in. They were hard & brittle.

The big one in the pan flopped out thick, sticky & gooey like this. Looks like a Sugar Battlefield, doesn’t it?


99% of me screamed Throw it, Throw it, THROW it NOW! I listened to my 1% and offered them to my young nephews.

Whoa! Wouldcha believe it? They loved it – a LOT! Way to go, Silver Lining!

The different textures & sweetness of my ‘failure’ turned out to be a winning snack, somewhere along the lines of toffee-meets-fudge-in-a-cake kinda thing. I can’t replicate it though, as I’m not too sure what I did right or wrong... but today’s recipe of a *simple potato dish turns out wonderful every time. Makes for a great side dish or just delicious on its own!

I love it for the simplicity and awesome taste, plus the oh! so few ingredients, and it Doesn’t have a grain of sugar, folks, so we’re safe.


*I figure I’d pop in something easy since you had to read my long Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee recipe from my previous post.


Ham & Garlic Potatoes




Ingredients
2 medium waxy potatoes
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Some sliced ham*
Some chicken stock
Salted butter*, for dotting
Cheese of your choice, shredded (optional)
(*If you prefer pancetta or bacon, use unsalted/sweet butter)

Method
Wash & peel the waxy potatoes.

Using a knife, slice them thinly (not too thin, don’t use a mandolin)

Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F)

In an oven-proof dish, pour a bit of the chicken stock to just cover the bottom.

Layer with potato, then garlic, dot with butter, potato again, then ham. Repeat.

Finish with a layer of potato. Pour some chicken stock over it.

Cover with foil and bake for 45 mins to 1 hour (depends on the size of your dish).

Uncover and top with shredded cheese, if using. Grill till cheese melts.

Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment

hey! Thanks for yr comment!